The McCone Conservation District is a board of seven locally elected officials that deal with the natural resource concerns of McCone County Montana. The District was first organized on August 14, 1942. The District includes three watersheds: The Redwater River, Prairie Elk-Wolf and Fort Peck Reservior. The town of Circle petitioned and entered the District in 1994. The present land area of the McCone Conservation District is 1,717,120 acres.
The District name was McCone Soil Conservation District until 1962 when it changed to McCone Soil & Water Conservation District. In 1972, the name changed again to McCone Conservation District, a name that we still hold today.
Mission Statement–By performing a leadership role in conservation for McCone County, the District will develop a more sustainable and economic resource management plan for the community.
Conservation District Authority–MCA 76-15-102. Declaration of policy. It is hereby declared to be the policy of the legislature to provide for the conservation of soil and soil resources of this state, for the control and prevention of soil erosion, for the prevention of floodwater and sediment damages, and for furthering the conservation, development, utilization, and disposal of water and therefore to preserve natural resources, control floods, prevent impairment of dams and reservoirs, preserve wildlife, protect the tax base, protect public lands, and protect and promote the health, safety, and general welfare of the people of this state.